Family Newsletter

 Back to Newsletters
 VOL 7


    October 2003

     Well hello to everyone once again.  We begin this newsletter with a tender heart still reeling from the loss of my father.  He was the reason for beginning the newsletters, and now that reason has gone ahead of me in death.
      Shockingly, the first week in July dad went into the hospital for a simple gall-bladder surgery.  We thought he had begun to recover nicely.  He went home after a brief stay in the hospital gaining strength daily.  Each day at home we were preparing for his return to the pulpit where he had pastored for the past twenty-seven years.  We thought he was gaining strength and getting better.  However, six weeks after the surgery he was having difficulty breathing and getting over a pain in his hip.  My sisters took him to the emergency room where he was admitted on August 3 and he died on August 12.  This was and is almost too much to bear. 
     Dad was always so full of mischief and life that seeing this side of the life we live seems surreal.  My husband is a minister and I have attended many funerals yet never have I been made more painfully aware of what this final good by is all about. 
     I am still trying to put everything back together, and I understand that this will take some time.  I have tried to get all the newsletters back up to date, but find even that former enjoyable task almost to be a labor now, and not a labor of love necessarily.  I know that many of you understand how I am feeling and you know too that “time heals all wounds” and that we must be patient until that time arrives.  So, until then, when I am healed more, I know you will understand in my delays of the newsletter.  Please accept my apologies for not being more on time with my updates. 
      A good note is that my granddaughter Maney arrived on October 8, a new life to continue with  ‘connecting the dots’…..


Continued from Issue 3 Vol 7.  Definitions of medical terminology that you might find on death certificates.
Hematemesis - Vomiting blood
Hematuria - Bloody urine
Hemiplegy - Paralysis of one side of body
Hip gout - Osteomylitis
Horrors - Delirium tremens
Hydrocephalus - Enlarged head, water on  the brain
Hydropericardium - Heart dropsy
Hydrophobia - Rabies
Hydrothroax - Dropsy in chest
Hypertrophic - Enlargement of organ, like the heart

Impetigo - Contagious skin disease characterized by pustules
Inanition - Physical condition resulting from lack of food
Infantile paralysis - Polio
Intestinal colic - Abdominal pain due to improper diet

Jail fever - Typhus
Jaundice - Condition caused by blockage 
 of intestines

King's evil - Tuberculosis of neck and 
 lymph glands
Kruchhusten - Whooping cough

Lagrippe - Influenza
Lockjaw - Tetanus or infectious disease affecting the muscles of the neck and jaw.  Untreated, it is fatal in 8 days
Long sickness - Tuberculosis
Lues disease - Syphilis
Lues venera - Venereal disease
Lumbago - Back pain
Lung fever - Pneumonia
Lung sickness - Tuberculosis
Lying in - Time of delivery of infant

Malignant sore throat - Diphtheria
Mania - Insanity
Marasmus - Progressive wasting away of body, like malnutrition
Membranous Croup - Diphtheria
Meningitis - Inflations of brain or spinal cord
Metritis - Inflammation of uterus or purulent vaginal discharge
Miasma - Poisonous vapors thought to infect the air
Milk fever - Disease from drinking contaminated milk, like undulant fever or brucellosis
Milk leg - Post partum thrombophlebitis
Milk sickness - Disease from milk of cattle which had eaten poisonous weeds
Mormal - Gangrene
Morphew - Scurvy blisters on the body
Mortification - Gangrene of necrotic tissue
Myelitis - Inflammation of the spine
Myocarditis - Inflammation of heart muscles

Necrosis - Mortification of bones or tissue
Nephrosis - Kidney degeneration
Nepritis - Inflammation of kidneys
Nervous prostration - Extreme exhaustion from inability to control physical and mental activities
Neuralgia - Described as discomfort, such as "Headache" was neuralgia in head
Nostalgia - Homesickness

Palsy - Paralysis or uncontrolled movement of controlled muscles. It was listed as "Cause of death"
Paroxysm - Convulsion
Pemphigus - Skin disease of watery blisters
Pericarditis - Inflammation of heart
Peripneumonia - Inflammation of lungs
Peritonotis - Inflammation of abdominal area
Petechial Fever - Fever characterized by skin spotting

to be continued in the next issue
Revolutionary War Land Grants:
email correspondence
I have done very little research in PA and MD records, and I would greatly welcome suggestions from those who are more experienced in this area.  Please tell me what you would do next if you were me.  I am trying to find where Peter Grubb lived in the interval between 1765, when he arrived in America, and 1790, when he was living in Baltimore City.  Peter died in Columbus.   His obituary included the following information:  Aged 80 years, wanting a few days.  Native of Germany, but came to America when he was about 14 yrs old, and settled in Lancaster, PA.  Took up arms for America during the Revolutionary War.

Anne, based on the chronology that you have given, my guess is that this soldier received bounty land for his service in the Revolution.  Land given by the federal government to Rev soldiers under the acts of 1788, 1803, and 1806 was in one place--the military district of Ohio.
Peggy Reeves

Hi Peggy,
I am curious about your name for the area where land was granted to Rev. War Vets... "military district Ohio".  Some references that I have refer to it as "Northwest Territory".  Of course, all this before Ohio became a state.  Comment???

I did a search "military district" +ohio, apparently the "Ohio Military District was known as the "Virginia Military District" until Ohio became a state.  There are many references other than these at

"...received bounty warrant number 1394 for 100 acres on 6 July 1781 and bounty warrant number 1390 for 200 acres on 23 June 1783 from the State of Virginia.  It was for his Revolutionary War service in the Continental Line.  As late as 1856, the records show the bounty warrants were not redeemed. [he] went to the state of South Carolina, and later to Sevier County, Tennessee, rather than into the Kentucky and Ohio military district under the auspices of the state of Virginia."

Outline of Ohio Land History

With the conclusion of the Revolutionary War, Virginia and other states were asked to cede their western land claims to the fledgling government, which later used them to create the Northwest and Southwest Territories.  In 1784 Virginia relinquished its claim to lands to the northwest of the Ohio River in exchange for being able to award bounty lands (land grants in lieu of payment for military service) in Ohio's "Virginia Military District" (see next).  Connecticut made a similar arrangement and ceded its claims in exchange for granting lands in the "Western Reserve and Firelands".

The Virginia Military District opened in 1794, though surveys were done there starting in the 1780s.  The first patent was granted there in 1796.  The District was located between the Little Miami and Scioto Rivers in the south-central portion of the state.  Virginia issued bounty land grants there until Ohio achieved statehood in 1803.

Hold on a minute folks, do not jump to erroneous conclusions.  Ohio has many different   areas as follows:

1) Connecticut Western Reserve of 1786 (in N.E. corner of Ohio)
2) The Fire Lands of 1792 (on Lake Erie, N. central Ohio)
3) Michigan survey 1836 (Michigan survey extended into Ohio)
4) The Seven Ranges of 1786 (East central Ohio)
5) U. S. Military District of 1786-1802 (Central Ohio)
6) Symmes Purchase 1794 (S.W corner of Ohio)
7) Virginia Military District of 1784 (in S. central Ohio)
8) Refugee Tract of 1798 (Central Ohio)
9) Ohio Company 1st purchase of 1787 (S.E. Ohio)
10) Ohio company second purchase of 1792 (adjoins 1st purchase)
11) Donation Tract of 1792 (S.E. Ohio
12) Two Mile reserve of 1805 (part of Sandusky County)
13) Twelve Mile reserve of 1805 (part of Lucas County/Toledo)
14) French Grants of 1795-98 (part of Lawrence County)
15) Lands granted/released to U. S. Congress (remainder of Ohio)
All of the above being a portion of "The Northwest Territory" at some period in history.  An excellent short description of each of the segments can be found in "OHIO LANDS" a short history, published by the Auditor, State of Ohio in 1991.

Or, if you have an interest in one particular area we can contact you with its' description directly.

Norman C. Caldwell, P.S.

Thanks, Norm, for this great list!

As far as federal bounty land for Revolutionary service is concerned, it would have been awarded in #5 and #7 of your list, #7 being for Virginia soldiers, and #5 for everyone else.  Revolutionary soldiers got 100 acres of land, except for officers who got more depending upon their rank.

There were several states that awarded bounty land to their own soldiers, such as NC awarding land in it's western areas (TN), but that was through the individual states and not the federal government.  Virginia awarded land in KY until they ceded the VA military district of Ohio to the federal government.  VA soldiers were then awarded land there.

It's rather confusing, but the feds bounty land for Rev soldiers would have all been awarded in Ohio.

Peggy Reeves


Partly in an effort to alleviate overcrowding of passenger ships, Congress enacted legislation (3 Stat. 489) on March 2, 1819 to regulate the transport of passengers in ships arriving from foreign ports.  As a provision of this act, masters of such ships were required to submit a list of all passengers to the collector of customs in the district in which the ship arrived.

The legislation also provided that the collector of customs submit quarterly passenger list reports to the Secretary of State, who was, in turn, required to submit the information to Congress.  The information was then published in the form of Congressional documents.  A further Congressional act passed on May 7, 1874 repealed the legislative provision requiring collectors to send copies of passenger lists to the Secretary of State.  Thereafter, collectors of customs were to send only statistical reports on passenger arrivals to the Department of Treasury.

War Watchers at Bull Run
(this article was located on the Internet)
     A crowd of Washington politicos, socialites, and newsmen came out to watch the war's first real battle, along northern Virginia's Bull Run.  For most, the view was as disappointing as the fight's outcome.  But a few got to see all the action they could handle, and more.  by John J. Hennessy

     Nineteenth-century Centreville, Virginia, was hardly a place to inspire awe.  One man wrote of it in July 1861, "It looks for all the world as though it had done its business, whatever it was, fully eighty years ago, and since then had bolted its doors, put out its fires, and gone to sleep."  Yet on the night of July 20, 1861, the eyes of the world fixed on this bedraggled place some two dozen miles west of Washington, D.C.  The valleys, woods, and fields around Centreville teamed with the largest assemblage of military might ever seen in the Americas.  More than 30,000 Union soldiers shuffled nervously, sleepily in their camps, on the eve of the first major battle of the Civil War.
     Among the military throng that night was John Taylor, an aspiring politician from New Jersey, who, like a few other civilians, had come out early from Washington to witness history.  The future state senator watched the Union army assemble about 2:00 a.m.  It was, he wrote, "one of the most inspiring and impressive sights of my life time."  From the fields on either side of Braddock Road and the Warrenton Turnpike, which ran east to west through Centreville, hundreds of soldiers tumbled from their camps and into column.  Writing of the scene 32 years later, Taylor wistfully remembered that the cadence of the troops seemed to be measured "by the unison of those hearts beating stoutly for their country's salvation."
     Taylor would soon have plenty of civilian company.  As the Union army around Centreville stirred that July morning, Washington rumbled with an excitement rarely matched in the capital's history.  For months, the 19th-century equivalent of CNN had churned out "news" and speculation at a feverish pitch.  Now, the day of the big battle had finally arrived.  It was Sunday--the week's only leisure day--and throughout the city, newspapermen, politicians, and common folk hunted up carriages for a trip to the front.  Talk of the battle was everywhere, and many of the curious meant to see of it what they could.  The sun rose over clots of civilian wagons heading westward out of the city, taking their passengers to witness what would surely be an unsparing, unequivocal Union victory.
     Intending only to watch from the sidelines as history was made, these noncombatants were about to become part of the history and lore of the First Battle of Bull Run--part of an enduring legend that puts civilians at the center of some of the most chaotic moments in that first major battle of the war, regardless of what actually happened.
     Only a handful of civilians were in Centreville early enough to watch the army march.  Their numbers would swell by the hour to perhaps several hundred, and would include some of America's luminaries: Congressman Elihu Washburne of Illinois, later Ulysses S. Grant's sponsor; Senator Jim Lane of Kansas; future Speaker of the House Schuyler Colfax of Indiana; Radical Republican Senator Henry Wilson of Massachusetts; Senator Benjamin F. "Bluff Ben" Wade, who would be the spiritual leader of the radical Committee on the Conduct of the War; and a handful more.  Despite their lofty positions, few of them had any concept of the day's battle plan as laid out by the Union army commander, Brigadier General Irvin McDowell.  Once the army started to march, the civilian dignitaries, like the Confederates, would have to guess what would happen next.
     There was, however, one civilian with special access to the army and its plans that day:  Rhode Island's 31-year old governor, William Sprague. Sprague was rich, cultured, ambitious, and eligible (he would later marry Washington's foremost belle, Kate Chase, daughter of the treasury secretary).  The governor took seriously his titular post as commander of the Rhode Island State Militia; he would attach himself this day to the brigade commanded by Colonel Ambrose E. Burnside.
     The two Rhode Island regiments in Burnside's brigade would lead the day's featured Yankee 
movement: an arching march north and west to cross Bull Run creek above the Confederate left flank and the Stone Bridge, where the Warrenton Turnpike crossed the creek, almost five miles   west of Centreville.  Sprague had no intention of merely looking over his favorite general's shoulder. Instead, he rode at the head of the column with Burnside, spurring forward occasionally to reconnoiter, and ultimately directing his constituents into tumultuous musketry fire on Matthew's Hill, just north of the turnpike.  "Governor Sprague was foremost in the fight and inspired the men with coolness and courage," wrote one Rhode Islander.  The governor had two horses shot from under him--probably the only sitting governor in American history to suffer that distinction.
     Sprague and his Rhode Islanders prevailed that morning on Matthew's Hill, driving the Confederates away in haste just as McDowell had envisioned.  Of all this, however, the distant and growing pods of civilians near Centreville knew little.
     Throughout the morning and early afternoon, steady streams of would-be spectators found their way to the heights at Centreville, fully five miles from the battlefield.  "They came in all manner of ways," wrote a Union officer, "some in stylish carriages, others in city hacks, and still others in buggies, on horseback, or even on foot.  Apparently everything in the shape of vehicles in and around Washington had been pressed into service for the occasion."
     Shortly after 1:00 p.m., the most famous news correspondent on the field, William H. Russell of the London Times, crested the Centreville ridge.  Russell recalled the slopes were "covered with men, carts, and horses" while spectators crowned the summit.  To the west, a vast panorama lay before the audience: forest and field against the backdrop of the Bull Run Mountains, 15 miles distant.  The civilian horde looked intently into the scene, but could divine little.  Congressman Alfred Ely of New York, who had also just arrived, noted that the "thick woods hid from our view all the troops," although the smoke of the battle "was plainly seen, and the deep-throated roar of the artillery distinctly heard."  Russell scanned the supposed battlefield intently with his glass, but, as he wrote in what would be the most famous recounting of the Bull Run disaster, "I failed to discover any traces of close encounter or very severe fighting."
     For most civilians present that day, the experience was less a visual feast than a forum for wanton speculation.  Russell noted that they "were all excited," especially one woman with an opera glass.  She was "quite beside herself" when a louder-than-usual volley echoed from the distant battlefield.  "That is splendid," she exclaimed.  "Oh my! Is that not first-rate?  I guess we will be in Richmond this time tomorrow."
     A handful of soldiers made their way among the spectators, offering commentary and interpretation of the unseen battle beyond Bull Run.  At one point, the crowd stood rapt when an officer galloped up the Warrenton Turnpike from the direction of the battlefield (credentials enough, apparently, for the spectators to assume his word reliable).  He waved his cap and conveyed stunning news: "We've whipped them at all points.  We have taken their batteries.  They are retreating as fast as they can, and we are after them."
     The crowd atop the hill loosed a cheer that "rent the welkin," said Russell. Congressmen shook hands.  "Bully for us! Bravo!  Didn't I tell you so?" they exclaimed.  To those perched safely on the heights of Centreville, it seemed the battle could not be going better.
     For curious reporters and congressmen--many determined to record rather than speculate on the proceedings--the view from Centreville was simply not enough, so several ventured closer to get a better look.  Without much idea of how the battle would unfold, many headed south toward Blackburn's Ford, along Centreville-Manassas Road, where a preliminary fight had raged on July 18.  On a ridge about a mile southeast of Centreville, Captain John Tidball had positioned his battery that morning--part of the force calculated to keep the Confederates' attention away from the Union flanking column to the north.  Tidball watched with some amusement as civilians thronged to his position, hoping to see or learn something momentous.

concluded in the next issue

Clipping of the Day

From the New York Times (New York, N.Y.), 16 December 1861, page 3:
Correspondence of the Louisville Journal
Paducah, Ky., Monday, Dec. 9, 1861

     Gentlemen: Within the past week, about on hundred men have come in from the bordering counties of Tennessee.  They represent matters as in a terrible condition in their sections of the country.  The unity of the people for separation, and the military despotism of the South, seems to be a myth, a fancy, a  falsehood.  They say that there is a large part of the people all over the State that are, and have ever been for the Union; that, notwithstanding their seeming submission, if the time ever arrives for them to assert their sentiments, they will be found in full unison with loyalty and patriotism.  They are expecting at least one thousand to fifteen hundred to arrive here in a few days.  It is thought that about that number will come from Weakley County.  It is reported that the Union men are in open revolt in that county against  the authorities, and a collision is anticipated.  The order to draft every second man subject to military duty, had reached  them, and they will not submit to its execution. Several who have arrived here were drafted and ordered to rendezvous at their county seats, but preferred  Paducah.  Indeed, in places, so little regard for law or justice prevails, that a committee will take the muster-rolls, and name the men who shall go, and  then summon them to appear at the county seat at such a time, and to bring  with them three days' provisions, and a gun, pistol, pitchfork, or grubbing hoe.

Continued from the last issue  [Issue 3   Vol 7]


     In previous issues of this publication I began a discussion of the children of John and Catherine Shimmin Crye.  I have been trying to complete sharing information on this family so this article is continued from the previous issue.  In John’s  will he lists his children as William, David, John, James, Isabella, Sarah, Catherine, and Margaret.   An additional son Hugh has been identified to me by LDS researchers but was not mentioned in the will.


Children are:
Catron born 08/27/1780 NC        Mary born 01/20/1794 GA/TN
William Jr born 05/19/1782 SC     John born 06/18/1796 GA/TN
Hugh born 11/05/1784 GA/TN    Isabel born 08/10/1798 GA/TN
Mary born  12/08/1786 GA/TN   James born 01/07/1801 GA/TN
Joseph born 03/05/1789 GA/TN   David born 02/05/1803 GA/TN
Sarah born  09/12/1791 GA/TN   Jonathan born   09/07/1806 GA/TN

Jonathan (John, William) Crye is first mentioned in William Crye’s Rev. War Pension declaration.  (See Issue 1 Vol 1)  Jonathan’s birth was given as September 7, 1806 in North Carolina.  Jonathan married Edith L. Ayers/Pierce and had nine known children.  See Issue 2 Vol 7 for a complete description of this possible first child for Johnathan.  This first child John married Elizabeth Hill and their first child was James Monroe Crye who married Josephine P. Scott.  James and Josephine only had two children.  We discussed the first child Catherine who married a Wallace in Issue 3 Vol 7. 

James M. Crye & Josephine’s second child, Josephine [Josie E.] married an Unknown Ashby.  In her sister Catherine’s obituary, August 7, 1967, it listed Josephine Ashby a sister.  I haven’t found Josephine anywhere in the census, but apparently she is alive in 1967.

John (John, William, Jonathan) Crye & Elizabeth Hill’s second child was Mary E. Crye who married D. M. Chambers.  Information regarding who she married was gleaned from John and Elizabeth’s individual obituaries.  In the 1900 census a David N. Chambers is listed with a wife Mollie and the following children and ages:  Myrtle 8; Minnie 6; Willie (female) 3; Ernest 2; Frank 2/12.  The census indicates they have been married for 8 years with five births, five children alive.  His occupation is listed as an iron molder.

In the 1920-1930 Hamilton Co., TN census’ we find David Chambers with a wife Mary.  Neither census list children, but the obituary for her brother Wallace list 2 nephews, Roy Chambers of Washington, D.C., and Wallace Chambers of Chattanooga 

John (John, William, Jonathan) Crye and Elizabeth Hill’s third child was Paralee born in 1876.  She is listed in the 1880 census but no mention of her has been made in any obituary, even as early as her mother’s obituary in 1923.  Therefore, I believe she must have died between 1880-1923. 

John (John, William, Jonathan) Crye and Elizabeth Hill’s fourth child was Wallace H..  Wallace is first located in the 1900 census living at home with his parents.  In the 1910 census of Hamilton Co., TN Wallace has married Emma Hysinger and they are living out on their own: Emma Hysinger’s father being born in Germany and her mother being born in Switzerland.  Wallace and Emma had four children, Wallace H. Jr; J. T. Crye; Lena Frances; and Margarette.  The 1910 census list that they have been married for seven years with three births, two living children, Wallace H. Jr., and Margarette. 

The 1920 Hamilton Co., TN census lists Wallace Cry, head of household, age 38, wife Emma 36, son Wallace 14, Margurite [who marries a Jennings] age 12, Lena Frances [who marries a McGuffey] 6, J.T. 3 months.  Wallace’s parents, John and Elizabeth Crye are living with them. 

In the1930 census of Hamilton Co., TN, Emma is living as a widow with her daughter Margurite age 25.  Two lodgers are living with them.  In the same 1930 census Wallace is listed living alone, divorced, age 46.  [Wallace didn’t die until 1946 with cancer of the liver] 

Wallace’s obituary reads as follows:  Aug 23, 1946 – Wallace H. Cry, died Friday night in a local hospital.  Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Betty Grace Jenkins Cry; four children, Mrs. G. T. Jennings, Chattanooga; Mrs. James McGuffey, Atlanta, GA; Wallace Cry Jr., St. Louis, MO; and J. T. Cry, US Navy; three nieces, Mrs. W. G. Perkinson, Mrs. D.P. Russell, Mrs. Will Blessing, all of Chattanooga, TN; two nephews, Roy Chambers, Washington, D.C. and Wallace Chambers, Chattanooga.  Funeral services will be held at 3 o’clock Sunday afternoon in the chapel of the National Funeral Home, with Rev. Battle McLester officiating.  Interment will be in Chattanooga Memorial Park.  Mr. Cry was employed by the Southern Railway for five years.  Also past president and a charter member of International Association of Machinists Local No 56.  Active pall bearers will be W. D. Sively, Elbert Cartee, E. H. Walker, G.L. Colosia, L.A. Lea and A. D. Stowe.  Honorary pall bearers will be members of International Association of Machinists, Locals No 1450 and 56; Judge Martin Fleming, E. W. Wimpee, Rus Davis, B.T. Mize, George Chamlee Sr., N.B. Hargraves, James S. Lucas, Golden Dunn, Robert L. Coffee, Judge Frank Darwin, Judge Wiley Couch, Michall Harrington, Albert Pechman, Herman Pechman and John Quintel.  The body is at the National Funeral Home. 

Emma Hisinger Crye’s obituary reads as follows:  Mrs. Emma Hinsinger Cry, 77, of 3349 Pinewood Ave died Monday morning at the residence.  She was born in Grueth, TN, daughter of the late Mr. & Mrs. Max Hisinger who were among the early settlers of the Swiss colony in Grueth, TN.  She is survived by two sons, Wallace H. Crye Jr., St. Louis MO; J.T. Cry Chula Vista, CA; two daughters Mrs. Margurrite Jennings, Chattanooga; Mrs. Frances McGuffey, Muscle Shoals, AL; two brothers, Herman Hinsinger, Grueth, TN, George Hinsinger, Chattanooga, TN; two sisters, Mrs. Mary Sullivan, Chattanooga; Mrs. Minnie Schlechty, Newtown, OH; three grandchildren, Henry McGuffey, Jr., Wallace H. Crye III and Judy Ann Cry; one foster grandchild, William S. Sanders, several nieces and nephews.  Funeral services will be held at 2:30 Tuesday afternoon from the East Chapel of the National Funeral Home with Rev. Ansel Baker officiating.  Interment will be in Forest Hills.  Pallbearers will be W. A. Randle, Manning Sullivan, Jimmy Rowe, Grady Lane Jr., Hiram Simpkins, W. T. Howard.  The body is at the National Funeral Home East Chapel.  (Feb 23, 1960)

Jonathan (John, William) Crye & Edith Ayers/Pearce/Pierce’s second known child was Eliza.  Eliza is named in the 1850 McMinn Co., TN census but she is not listed in the home in 1860 and she would have been 18.  Usually the 1900 census would have listed how many children a person had birthed and how many had lived, but Edith didn’t live to see 1900 so I haven’t a list of that information.  I have looked for an Eliza near Edith, but have found none.  I looked for an obituary for one of the children that might have listed survivors, but found none.  What I have found in the Bradley Co. TN, marriages for August 9, 1866 is an Eliza J. Ayers marrying George James.  There are no recorded Ayers living in Bradley Co., TN until 1883, so she is not from a local Ayers family.  In the 1870 census, George James age 37 from Georgia and Eliza age 17 from Tennessee with a son George H., age 2 are living in Polk Co., TN, a neighboring county to Bradley. 

The 1880 census does not locate them again.  A few George James’ family are in Tennessee and Georgia, but none that match these ages in 1880.  There is a George James age 35, Eliza 22, Samuel M. 14, John 12, Mary J., 10, Charles 7 and Sarah J., 2 living in Cumberland Co., TN.  Eliza and all the children are born in Tennessee.  George is listed from Georgia.  As George could have been the father of Samuel, Eliza could not be the mother.  This may be the same family as found in the 1870 Polk Co., TN census with George and Eliza’s ages given wrongly.  The 1900 census does not list another George James in Tennessee.  I have had no contact with anyone who claims to be related to Eliza.

Jonathan (John, William) Crye & Edith Ayers/Pearce/Pierce’s third known child was Henry Clay.  Now, we have found quite a bit of information on this family due to Norma Crye who has completed much research on this family line.  We appreciate her input and give her credit for the following on this Henry Clay Crye family information. 

Henry Clay Crye was born in 1845 in Bradley Co., TN and there he married Martha Elizabeth Snider/Snyder in 1874.  She was born in 1857 in Polk Co. TN, a neighboring county.  Henry and Elizabeth are located in Bradley Co. TN in the 1880 census. 

(from Norma Beaty Crye)

There was a big copper mine in the mountains of Tennessee which has been in operation over 200 years.  When Henry Clay Crye and his brother were young, they hauled ore by wagon a distance of forty miles to Cleveland, TN.  Hen, as he was called, and his brother, Tim, drove a team apiece with four horses to the wagon.  They were known as the best drivers in that part of the country.  They were a jovial pair who could be heard a mile away as they coaxed the horses along with an occasional lash of the whip.

By 1900 the Henry Clay Crye family have moved to Texas.  Norma Crye list their children being born in Navarro Co., TX beginning in 1882.  Henry Clay died in 1891 in Texas and Martha died in Coleman Co., Texas. 

Martha married W. W. Turner in 1893 and had two additional sons. 

The children of Henry Crye and Martha are as follows: 

Luke Henry b 1875, died in 1882
Florence b 1877 m/ James Campbell
Cordie b 1880 m/ Watt Stringer
AdaWatt b 1882 m/ A.A.A. Taylor
Parker b 1884 m/ Ada Reese
Eugene b 1886 m/ Edna Preston 
Clementine b 1887 m/ Harry Butler
Mary Jane b 1889 m/ Unknown Anderson
Henry Clay Jr. b 1891 m/ Nannie Myers.

Henry Clay Crye and Martha’s first child was Luke Henry and he died before he was 10 years old.  Sometime between 1880 and 1882 his parents took the small family to Texas.  I don’t know the family story, but he could have died before they left, on the way, or when they arrived.  His brother Ada Watt was born in April just five months before Luke Henry died in September and Ada Watt is listed as being born in Navarro Co., TX

Parker Crye, Henry Clay and Martha’s fifth child states in the 1920 census that he was born in TN in 1884.  If that is correct, then Luke Henry Crye is possibly buried in or around Bradley Co. TN.  Meaning too that AdaWatt Crye would have been born in TN also.  However, AdaWatt is consistent with his birth state as TX.

Henry Clay Crye and Martha’s second child is Florence, also called “Molly”.  Florence married James Campbell in 1896, but finding this family in the censuses proved difficult for me.  In the 1900 census of Navarro Co., TX there is a James Campbell age 24 with a wife Molly and two children, Sterling B. and Edie E. (female).  They have been married for three years, they have had two children and two are alive.  I was not able to find this family in the 1910-1930 census.

In the Social Security records online I found a Beulah Mae Kelso born in 1899 in Texas who died in California in 1989.  Her father’s surname was listed as Campbell and her mother’s maiden name was listed as Cry.  Undoubtedly this is a child of Florence and James, possibly the daughter listed as Edie E.

to be continued in the next issue

Message: IDA EMMALINE CRYE, b. 06/23/1886 according to death certificate and my mother's birth certificate but Emma said it was 06/28/1886; d. 08/20/1974; buried in Wilson Chapel Cemetery, Freestone Co., TX. Born in Polk Co., TN near the community of Ducktown in the southeastern corner of TN.  I have seen her name listed as IDA E., EMMA, EMMALINE and EMALINE.

Mother: "Tiny" ?? (other information unknown at this  time), buried in the Prairie Hill Cemetery, Hill Co., TX
Father: "Jim" (James?) Crye, dates unknown
One brother known as "Doc" Crye, lived in Mt. Calm, TX
One brother, Dolffey Crye, died at age 3
Other siblings, if any, unknown

     It is said there is a "Create" Indian in this side of the family.  The "Creates" were supposedly from the southeastern part of the United States but I have not verified their existence nor any connection as of yet.
Married: Noah Fleetwood Collie, 1906, Hubbard, Hill Co., TX
     Emma was a housewife/farmer's wife all her life.  She arrived in Texas shortly after the turn of the century (1900) via wagon from the Pinebluff, AR area.  I don't know if she and her family lived there for any length of time.  After marrying Noah Collie, she is known to have lived in the Hubbard, Kirkland, Dimmit and Teague (Donie community) areas of Texas.
     Her mother-in-law was an Elizabeth (Lizzie or Polly) Young Collie White.  Lizzie's mother was a Polly Young, maiden name unknown.  Both ladies came to Texas with the Crye family is my understanding.
     Children of Noah F. and I. Emma Collie were (in no particular order):
Ruby or Rubye Collie Pharris (died in Tarrant Co. TX)
Tylas Dempsey Collie, b. 02/07/1911, d. 12/18/1976, buried in Union Cemetery, Freestone Co., TX
Irene Collie Bentley Cloud (died in Waco, TX)
Tessie Modene Collie, b. 09/22/1922, d. 01/29/1998, buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery, Abilene, TX
Bessie Ailene Collie Nesbitt (died in Sandusky, Ohio area)
Ray Collie, presently living in San Angelo, TX
Twins, died at birth or shortly after, other info unknown

     Grandma Collie (Ida Emmaline) was a feisty little woman up until her death.  She had a double-barreled shotgun and no one went on her property after dark without first announcing themselves from the road!  Until she was placed in a nursing home in Teague, TX shortly before her death, she lived in a 3-room house, drawing her water from a well (she didn't like "city" water) and using either a slop bucket or an outhouse.  She often told stories of feeding the "hobos" from her back door up until the middle 1950's and always cautioned us not to talk to them or let them in the house.  When my mother (Tessie M. Collie Tims) was about 14, Grandma Collie had a major stroke, leaving my mother to care for her, the family and other children, and doing housework while also going to school.  Grandma Collie was an accomplished seamstress, teaching all her female children and female grandchildren (those that would learn) how to sew.  I have several quilts made by my Grandma Collie and my mother.
     Diseases prevalent in this side of the family include heart trouble (including stroke) and rheumatoid arthritis.
Anyone with any information, please contact me at: